Can ever be made to come back,
Just as the sun's spots cannot be erased,
And, setting out to go back,
You won't come on back all the same.
This truth is most simple,
Like death, indisputable.
Returning to places is possible,
But not going back...
Nikolai Novikov
June just flew by. So quickly that I almost wonder- did we skip June this year or what? Well, the highlights of the month in summary: I started and then dropped a class at Amberton (not exactly a highlight- lack of motivation and finding a million other things I want to do instead of reading and writing about a subject that is way too broad forced me to delay my degree by at least one more semester) and a trip to Chicago to celebrate Jonines (St. John’s Day, which used to be- and I am sure still is- a big celebration in Lithuania full of traditions and folk music). The St. John’s festival in Chicago wasn’t nearly as big as I hoped it to be and we (my mom and my friend who went there with me) decided it wasn’t worth a 6 hour drive. The highlight of the trip, however, was meeting and hearing Veronika Povilioniene singing.
Veronika is this very talented Lithuanian singer who sings Lithuanian folk songs and finds her unique ways of making these songs attractive to young generations by incorporating folk songs and performing them with Jazz, Rock, Pop, Operat, etc. singers. This lady is a recent breast cancer survivor but on the stage in Chicago she did not let it show- her energy and charisma could be inspiration to many of us.