Jan 22, 2008

Looking back at 2007 ... (Summer)

As many of you know, the one thing that truly terrifies me is heights. Over the years I allowed this fear to have control over me. Along with many other ‘little’ fears that each one of us have (e.g. fear to fail at something)… When a friend of mine invited me to go skydiving with them a long time ago I would not even consider it. But this summer I changed my mind and decided to take control over my fears and the best way to start doing that, I thought, was to start with my fear of heights, so I went skydiving. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely not… at least not until I reached the ground. But afterwards, I was ready to go again!

As a general note though, skydiving and fear of heights don’t have much in common… Once you are up there you don’t think about how high you are, you forget the fear of heights because really you have other things to be concerned about. You fear to actually step off the plane onto nothing and then fall down… about 100-120 mph towards the ground. All I could do at that point was to gasp for air and hope that the pain in my ears would soon stop. For a moment there I was afraid my heart would stop beating… so strange not to have contact with any physical object.

If you watch my skydive video you’ll see how I am holding onto the pole above the exit until my instructor pulls my hands off it and pushes me out…