Jun 29, 2008

My pocket is $600 is lighter or how I survived 7 hours in a hair salon


So, finally I went for it. I decided to let my childhood dream come true and got my hair permanently straight. Or at least until it grows out.

All Saturday was spent in a hair salon called City Cuts- the only hair salon in Ohio that specializes in making hair permanently straight Japanese- style. They have customers coming from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Michigan and other places.


So, as soon as I got to the salon at 10AM they didn’t waste any time (they charge by hour not by the job done): first, they washed my hair, then they blow-dried it and applied hair relaxer. I sat there for an hour or so covered in layers and layers of foil and plastic wrap. Fun!

Next, they (there were three people working on my hair) washed it again, blow-dried it and straightened with a flat iron. Took at least 2-3 hours just to straighten it. The girl who did it had to take several breaks in between and by the end was asking the salon owner if he could order her a new pair of hands.

Once this was completed they applied some sort of firming chemicals, which was supposed to give my hair the ‘straight shape’. So, I had to sit without making a tiniest move for another 15 minutes. Might not seem like a lot but after sitting in that chair for 6 hours already it required a lot of effort from me not to move. I had to close my eyes not to see the clock hanging on the wall, staring at me through reflection of the mirror making it seem as if time has frozen.

Finally, 15 minutes went by and they washed my hair once again. Another 30-40 minutes of blow-dry and hoorah- my hair was straight! Now, those who know me, 7 hours is a long time to sit in one spot. But I championed it! They applied some shiny liquid, convinced me of buying some ‘absolutely necessary’ shampoo, conditioner and some other liquids and let me go…




Am I happy with the result, you might ask. Don’t know what magic I expected there but for $600 I expected it to look more 'celebrity-like'. I can only guess how much money they spend on a monthly basis to have their hair look like it does (I am talking about girls who have naturally curly/wavy hair but wear it straight- for instance, Jennifer Aniston). I am not allowed to touch my hair for the next 48 hours (no water, no hair clips, no sun-glasses on top of my head) and to be quite honest I will be afraid to wash it afterwards. But supposedly, I should be able just to wash-and-go afterwards… Will find out!